Negaunee Iron Herald newspapers
Search this Collection
The Negaunee Iron Herald was a weekly newspaper published in Negaunee, Michigan from 1873-1968. The paper was initially owned by C.C. Griffey from 1873. In 1885, Thomas Flynn became a partner in the business. The Dougherty family were the sole owners of the newspaper from 1934 to 1948, at which time it was purchased by brothers Thomas and John Pellow. The Pellows ran the paper until it ceased publication. For a more detailed history of the paper, see Virginia Paulson's detailed article in the November 28, 2020 issues of the Marquette Mining Journal (https://www.miningjournal.net/news/west-end/2020/11/the-negaunee-iron-he...).
The collection consists of only two issues of the Negaunee Iron Herald newspaper from 1887. Other issues of the Negaunee Iron Herald from 1873 to 1968 can be accessed at the Negaunee Historical Society or at the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives.
The physical collection is maintained by the Negaunee Historical Society, and the digital version was originally part of the Superiorland Library Cooperative's Upper Peninsula Regional Digitization Center. For more information about the physical collection, contact the Negaunee Historical Society at (906) 475-4614.