Ashmun and Spruce Streets, Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan

Duplicate photograph copied in 1938 of a cyanotype photograph taken in 1887 taken from the top of the Master Block that stood on the Northeast Corner of Ashmun and Spruce Streets looking across (West) Ashmun along Spruce.  Building in right foreground formerly Wheatley's Grocery Store and occupied by the Adams Building (1904).  Building marked (1) is Judge Colwell's residence with old St. James Church just east of it.  Pig Tail Alley at left center.  Shack to left, on Spruce Street, next to Pig Tail Alley location was a harness shop owned by the father of Col. Penfold, Ohio Territory, Salvation Army leader.  Next house was Billy Meyer's barber shop and home.  Next large building is the St. James Church prior to its being moved around, with Rev. P. T. Rowe's home to left (Church Rectory).  House to extreme right is that of Dr. Wright's, with the Lowry home next to it.  The white house at the end of Spruce Street was formerly owned by a Mr. Decotah and is now that which stands just east of the Moran home, just across from the hospital.
Abstract/Description: Duplicate photograph copied in 1938 of a cyanotype photograph taken in 1887 taken from the top of the Master Block that stood on the Northeast Corner of Ashmun and Spruce Streets looking across (West) Ashmun along Spruce. Building in right foreground formerly Wheatley's Grocery Store and occupied by the Adams Building (1904). Building marked (1) is Judge Colwell's residence with old St. James Church just east of it. Pig Tail Alley at left center. Shack to left, on Spruce Street, next to Pig Tail Alley location was a harness shop owned by the father of Col. Penfold, Ohio Territory, Salvation Army leader. Next house was Billy Meyer's barber shop and home. Next large building is the St. James Church prior to its being moved around, with Rev. P. T. Rowe's home to left (Church Rectory). House to extreme right is that of Dr. Wright's, with the Lowry home next to it. The white house at the end of Spruce Street was formerly owned by a Mr. Decotah and is now that which stands just east of the Moran home, just across from the hospital.
Subject(s): Cities and towns
Date Created: 1886-1887