U.S. gunboat Michigan (2 of 3)

Photograph of the U.S. Navy gunboat "Michigan," a sidewheeler made of iron built in 1844 at Erie, Pennsylvania. Renamed the "Wolverine" in 1905, the ship was still in use as a training vessel in the early 1920s. The U. S. "Michigan" displaced 685 tons, and was originally barke-rigged, with three masts, and square sails on the fore and aft masts.
Abstract/Description: Photograph of the U.S. Navy gunboat "Michigan," a sidewheeler made of iron built in 1844 at Erie, Pennsylvania. Renamed the "Wolverine" in 1905, the ship was still in use as a training vessel in the early 1920s. The U. S. "Michigan" displaced 685 tons, and was originally barke-rigged, with three masts, and square sails on the fore and aft masts.
Subject(s): Boats and boating
Soo Locks (Mich.)
Date Created: 1887 (approximate)