Quinnesec's Garfield School

Garfield School, Quinnesec, Breitung Township, Dickinson County, Michigan, ca. 1898-1900: Quinnesec’s Garfield School, formally opened December 23, 1897, replaced the Pioneer School which could no longer be used because of its proximity to the Cundy Mine shaft. The two-story building, located where the Breitung Township Hall now stands, contained four classrooms and a library which was located in the front portion of the building on the second floor. The structure would accommodate 235 pupils. The interior was finished in Georgia pine. A large picture of President James A. Garfield (1831-1881) hung in front of the large classroom on the first floor, called the assembly room. Two additional classrooms were located on this floor. When the school opened, classes from kindergarten through eighth grade were taught. Eighth grade graduates held their commencement exercises in Buell’s Opera House. Those wanting a high school education had to go to Iron Mountain. [Menominee Range Historical Museum], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Garfield School, Quinnesec, Breitung Township, Dickinson County, Michigan, ca. 1898-1900: Quinnesec’s Garfield School, formally opened December 23, 1897, replaced the Pioneer School which could no longer be used because of its proximity to the Cundy Mine shaft. The two-story building, located where the Breitung Township Hall now stands, contained four classrooms and a library which was located in the front portion of the building on the second floor. The structure would accommodate 235 pupils. The interior was finished in Georgia pine. A large picture of President James A. Garfield (1831-1881) hung in front of the large classroom on the first floor, called the assembly room. Two additional classrooms were located on this floor. When the school opened, classes from kindergarten through eighth grade were taught. Eighth grade graduates held their commencement exercises in Buell’s Opera House. Those wanting a high school education had to go to Iron Mountain. [Menominee Range Historical Museum]
Subject(s): School buildings
Portraits, Group
Quinnesec (Mich.)
Date Created: 1900