St. Paul Depot and Commercial Hotel, Iron Mountain, Michigan

St. Paul Depot and Commercial Hotel, West B Street, Iron Mountain, ca. September 2, 1907: The line of early automobiles processing east on Iron Mountain’s B Street in this postcard view may have been en route to the first annual hill climbing contest sponsored by the Menominee Range Automobile Club on September 2, 1907. The course was up East B Street from Stephenson Avenue to Superintendent Elwin F. Brown’s house at the Pewabic Mine. Buildings visible on the south side of the street from left to right included the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Depot, the Commercial Hotel, operated by Claude H. and Frank M. Milliman, and the residences of Andrew Swanson (115), Fred C. Parmelee (119) and J.T. Mason (126). [William John Cummings], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: St. Paul Depot and Commercial Hotel, West B Street, Iron Mountain, ca. September 2, 1907: The line of early automobiles processing east on Iron Mountain’s B Street in this postcard view may have been en route to the first annual hill climbing contest sponsored by the Menominee Range Automobile Club on September 2, 1907. The course was up East B Street from Stephenson Avenue to Superintendent Elwin F. Brown’s house at the Pewabic Mine. Buildings visible on the south side of the street from left to right included the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Depot, the Commercial Hotel, operated by Claude H. and Frank M. Milliman, and the residences of Andrew Swanson (115), Fred C. Parmelee (119) and J.T. Mason (126). [William John Cummings]
Subject(s): Central business districts
Cities and towns
Automobile racing
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1907 (approximate)