Street scene Iron Mountain

Ground Breaking for the Commercial Bank, West Side of the 500 Block of South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, Spring, 1929: Ground was broken for the construction of the Commercial Bank on the west side of the 500 block of South Stephenson Avenue in the spring of 1929. The architects for the building were A. Moorman & Company, of Minneapolis. The company specialized in bank buildings, and took charge from “the first blueprint to the final placing of the inkwells on the desks.” The architects awarded all individual contracts and supervised the erection and equipment of the structure. Their representative on the job was George J. Morrison. The general construction contract was held by the Phelps-Drake Company, and work was begun in the spring of 1929, as soon as the basement excavation had been completed by Joseph Mongrain. The intersection of South Stephenson Avenue and East A Street is shown in this photograph. The J.C. Penny Company then occupied the north store front of the U.S. National Bank building on the northeast corner, but later occupied the Levy-Unger Company building two stores north. The Central Drug Store was located on the southeast corner of the intersection. [Menominee Range Historical Museum], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Ground Breaking for the Commercial Bank, West Side of the 500 Block of South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, Spring, 1929: Ground was broken for the construction of the Commercial Bank on the west side of the 500 block of South Stephenson Avenue in the spring of 1929. The architects for the building were A. Moorman & Company, of Minneapolis. The company specialized in bank buildings, and took charge from “the first blueprint to the final placing of the inkwells on the desks.” The architects awarded all individual contracts and supervised the erection and equipment of the structure. Their representative on the job was George J. Morrison. The general construction contract was held by the Phelps-Drake Company, and work was begun in the spring of 1929, as soon as the basement excavation had been completed by Joseph Mongrain. The intersection of South Stephenson Avenue and East A Street is shown in this photograph. The J.C. Penny Company then occupied the north store front of the U.S. National Bank building on the northeast corner, but later occupied the Levy-Unger Company building two stores north. The Central Drug Store was located on the southeast corner of the intersection. [Menominee Range Historical Museum]
Subject(s): Central business districts
Cities and towns
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1929