Wedding party at the Bethany Episcopal Church in Vulcan

First Bethany Episcopal Church, Vulcan, Dickinson County, Michigan, June 26, 1906: The wedding party and guests posed outside of Vulcan’s first Bethany Episcopal Church June 26, 1906, when Jeffie Whitehead, daughter of Lewis Young and Jennie (Rice) Whitehead, married George Allen Goodrich. Bridesmaid Mary Flanagan and best man Roy Whitehead stood to the side of the bridal couple, pictured in the center. According to Vulcan, Michigan, Centennial Book 1872-1972, the first Episcopal Church in Vulcan was established some time prior to 1902, and a small shingled church was built. This structure, now remodeled, is the present home [1972] of Clifford Diedrich on Main Street. About 1908, this building was replaced by a brick church located at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Park Street. The Episcopal church in Vulcan was always a mission church, served by clergymen from Iron Mountain. Through almost all of the years the Episcopal Church had an active congregation in Vulcan. Frank Elms served as Sunday School superintendent and a mainstay of the congregation. In 1925, the church was closed and the building sold. It is now [1972] the home of the Richard Faulls. This photograph appears on page 62 in Vulcan, Michigan, Centennial Book 1872-1972. [Dr. John Newkirk], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: First Bethany Episcopal Church, Vulcan, Dickinson County, Michigan, June 26, 1906: The wedding party and guests posed outside of Vulcan’s first Bethany Episcopal Church June 26, 1906, when Jeffie Whitehead, daughter of Lewis Young and Jennie (Rice) Whitehead, married George Allen Goodrich. Bridesmaid Mary Flanagan and best man Roy Whitehead stood to the side of the bridal couple, pictured in the center. According to Vulcan, Michigan, Centennial Book 1872-1972, the first Episcopal Church in Vulcan was established some time prior to 1902, and a small shingled church was built. This structure, now remodeled, is the present home [1972] of Clifford Diedrich on Main Street. About 1908, this building was replaced by a brick church located at the northeast corner of Central Boulevard and Park Street. The Episcopal church in Vulcan was always a mission church, served by clergymen from Iron Mountain. Through almost all of the years the Episcopal Church had an active congregation in Vulcan. Frank Elms served as Sunday School superintendent and a mainstay of the congregation. In 1925, the church was closed and the building sold. It is now [1972] the home of the Richard Faulls. This photograph appears on page 62 in Vulcan, Michigan, Centennial Book 1872-1972. [Dr. John Newkirk]
Subject(s): Weddings
Church buildings
Portraits, Group
Vulcan (Mich.)
Date Created: 1906