East B Street, during Automobile Race, Iron Mountain, Michigan

North End of the East Side of the 600 Block of South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, ca. 1907: This postcard view documents the first annual hill climbing contest sponsored by the Menominee Range Automobile Club on September 2, 1907. The course was up East B Street from Stephenson Avenue to Superintendent Elwin F. Brown’s house at the Pewabic Mine. Buildings visible on the east side of South Stephenson Avenue east of the B Street intersection included 601, John Niklas, merchant tailor; 603, Moy A. Lon, laundry; 615, George Hoyle, painter and paper hanger (occupying the former shop of A. Richter, cigar manufacturer, and A. Swanson); and 619, Charles Gunnarson, furniture dealer. [William John Cummings], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: North End of the East Side of the 600 Block of South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, ca. 1907: This postcard view documents the first annual hill climbing contest sponsored by the Menominee Range Automobile Club on September 2, 1907. The course was up East B Street from Stephenson Avenue to Superintendent Elwin F. Brown’s house at the Pewabic Mine. Buildings visible on the east side of South Stephenson Avenue east of the B Street intersection included 601, John Niklas, merchant tailor; 603, Moy A. Lon, laundry; 615, George Hoyle, painter and paper hanger (occupying the former shop of A. Richter, cigar manufacturer, and A. Swanson); and 619, Charles Gunnarson, furniture dealer. [William John Cummings]
Subject(s): Central business districts
Cities and towns
Automobile racing
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1900