View of the intersection of Carpenter Avenue and West "B" Street, Iron Mountain

The 400 Block and the 500 Block of Carpenter Avenue Looking North, Iron Mountain, ca. 1920-1925: This snapshot was taken just past the intersection of Carpenter Avenue and West B Street, Iron Mountain, in the early 1920s. Apparently grading work was being done on the 400 and 500 blocks of Carpenter Avenue. The huge faucet hanging as a business sign from the two-story building at the far left indicated a plumber’s shop. Perhaps Edward J. Hammel, who had a shop at 405 Carpenter Avenue in 1925, operated from this building when he began business in Iron Mountain a few years earlier. In 1925 this building housed a wholesale confectionery run by Simon J. Shada at the 514 address. At 512 Oril P. Savoie was the proprietor of the Peerless Radiator Repair and Welding Works in that same year. Eugene DeGayner began operating his garage in conjunction with the area’s Dodge dealership at 124 West B Street in 1919 with Gottfried “Guffy” Johnson, but was operating on his own by 1921. The building at the right was DeGayner’s garage. [Eugene DeGayner], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: The 400 Block and the 500 Block of Carpenter Avenue Looking North, Iron Mountain, ca. 1920-1925: This snapshot was taken just past the intersection of Carpenter Avenue and West B Street, Iron Mountain, in the early 1920s. Apparently grading work was being done on the 400 and 500 blocks of Carpenter Avenue. The huge faucet hanging as a business sign from the two-story building at the far left indicated a plumber’s shop. Perhaps Edward J. Hammel, who had a shop at 405 Carpenter Avenue in 1925, operated from this building when he began business in Iron Mountain a few years earlier. In 1925 this building housed a wholesale confectionery run by Simon J. Shada at the 514 address. At 512 Oril P. Savoie was the proprietor of the Peerless Radiator Repair and Welding Works in that same year. Eugene DeGayner began operating his garage in conjunction with the area’s Dodge dealership at 124 West B Street in 1919 with Gottfried “Guffy” Johnson, but was operating on his own by 1921. The building at the right was DeGayner’s garage. [Eugene DeGayner]
Subject(s): Central business districts
Cities and towns
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1920 (approximate)