View of the excavation for a new business at the northeast corner of South Stephenson Avenue and East C Street in Iron Mountain

Wolfe Building, 623-629 South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, August, 1927: In early August, 1927, brothers Morris Wolfe and Henry Wolfe, sons-in-law of Max A. Cohodes [Cohodas?], began construction of their four-store single-story brick and steel block at an estimated cost of $35,000. William F. Pagels, a Chicago architect, prepared the plans. Anton Miench was in charge of the excavation for the one-story brick and steel business building at the northeast corner of South Stephenson Avenue and East C Street when this photograph was taken during the first week of August, 1927. G.A. Gustafson had the contract for the structural work of the four-store block. St. Paul Park, the site of the early farmers’ market, was across the street. A steam shovel owned by Hill Brothers, of Chatham, Michigan, was loading one of Anton Miench’s trucks. [Menominee Range Historical Museum], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Wolfe Building, 623-629 South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, August, 1927: In early August, 1927, brothers Morris Wolfe and Henry Wolfe, sons-in-law of Max A. Cohodes [Cohodas?], began construction of their four-store single-story brick and steel block at an estimated cost of $35,000. William F. Pagels, a Chicago architect, prepared the plans. Anton Miench was in charge of the excavation for the one-story brick and steel business building at the northeast corner of South Stephenson Avenue and East C Street when this photograph was taken during the first week of August, 1927. G.A. Gustafson had the contract for the structural work of the four-store block. St. Paul Park, the site of the early farmers’ market, was across the street. A steam shovel owned by Hill Brothers, of Chatham, Michigan, was loading one of Anton Miench’s trucks. [Menominee Range Historical Museum]
Subject(s): Excavation
Billboards
Construction equipment
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1927