Penn Hospital, located at 620 Norway Street, Norway, Michigan

Penn Hospital, 612 Norway Street, Norway, ca. 1915-1930: As the ground in Norway’s Old Town began sinking, many buildings were damaged, including the Columbia Hospital, owned by Dr. E.P. Lockart, one of the city’s pioneer physicians. Lockart’s settlement with the United States Steel Corporation included the Husson House, a three-story hotel, all of the fixtures and furniture from his hospital and some monetary compensation. By mid-September, 1909, the Husson House was moved to its new location at 612 Norway Street where it was placed on a new foundation and veneered with brick. Lockart’s New Columbia Hospital was ready for patients in mid-November, 1910. In January, 1913, Lockart accepted the position of surgeon with the Verona Mining Company in Palatka after living in Norway for thirty years. The hospital was purchased by the Penn Iron Mining Company and run as the Penn Hospital until 1946, when the company sold it to the City of Norway for a nominal sum. The city operated the hospital until November, 1960, when the Anderson Memorial Hospital was opened. [William John Cummings], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Penn Hospital, 612 Norway Street, Norway, ca. 1915-1930: As the ground in Norway’s Old Town began sinking, many buildings were damaged, including the Columbia Hospital, owned by Dr. E.P. Lockart, one of the city’s pioneer physicians. Lockart’s settlement with the United States Steel Corporation included the Husson House, a three-story hotel, all of the fixtures and furniture from his hospital and some monetary compensation. By mid-September, 1909, the Husson House was moved to its new location at 612 Norway Street where it was placed on a new foundation and veneered with brick. Lockart’s New Columbia Hospital was ready for patients in mid-November, 1910. In January, 1913, Lockart accepted the position of surgeon with the Verona Mining Company in Palatka after living in Norway for thirty years. The hospital was purchased by the Penn Iron Mining Company and run as the Penn Hospital until 1946, when the company sold it to the City of Norway for a nominal sum. The city operated the hospital until November, 1960, when the Anderson Memorial Hospital was opened. [William John Cummings]
Subject(s): Hospitals
Norway (Mich.)
Date Created: 1900 (approximate)