View of a portion of Metropolitan's business district in Felch Township

Business District With Railroad Handcar, Metropolitan, Felch Township, Dickinson County, Michigan, 1902: The portion of Metropolitan’s business district in Felch Township visible in this 1902 photograph includes, from right to left, the Chicago & North-Western Railway Depot, the Western Union office, an ice house and a store building in which the post office was located. Polk’s Michigan State Gazetteer and Business Directory for 1901 listed Charles Havens as the railroad express and telegraph agent and Mrs. K. Kandels as postmistress and proprietor of a general store. Note the elevated board sidewalk used to facilitate loading and unloading supplies from railroad cars and the early handcar in the foreground. [Susan Anderson], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Business District With Railroad Handcar, Metropolitan, Felch Township, Dickinson County, Michigan, 1902: The portion of Metropolitan’s business district in Felch Township visible in this 1902 photograph includes, from right to left, the Chicago & North-Western Railway Depot, the Western Union office, an ice house and a store building in which the post office was located. Polk’s Michigan State Gazetteer and Business Directory for 1901 listed Charles Havens as the railroad express and telegraph agent and Mrs. K. Kandels as postmistress and proprietor of a general store. Note the elevated board sidewalk used to facilitate loading and unloading supplies from railroad cars and the early handcar in the foreground. [Susan Anderson]
Subject(s): Central business districts
Railroad stations
Metropolitan (Mich.)
Date Created: 1902