View of the Chapin Mine's D shaft complex in Iron Mountain looking east

Photograph of the Chapin Mine's D shaft complex about 1894. The Millie Mine, originally the Hewitt Mine, can faintly be seen above and to the left of the shaft housing near the crest of Millie Hill. Pewabic Hill rises in the background. The Hydraulic Power Company’s air pipe appears in the lower right, extending west to the Ludington shaft and northwest to the Hamilton shaft. Earlier Chapin Mine shafts are visible at the left and the depression is the area which began sinking in 1885 and now forms East Chapin Lake. [William J. Cummings], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Photograph of the Chapin Mine's D shaft complex about 1894. The Millie Mine, originally the Hewitt Mine, can faintly be seen above and to the left of the shaft housing near the crest of Millie Hill. Pewabic Hill rises in the background. The Hydraulic Power Company’s air pipe appears in the lower right, extending west to the Ludington shaft and northwest to the Hamilton shaft. Earlier Chapin Mine shafts are visible at the left and the depression is the area which began sinking in 1885 and now forms East Chapin Lake. [William J. Cummings]
Subject(s): Mines and mineral resources
Mine shafts
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1894 (approximate)