View of Iron Mountain's South Stephenson Avenue

Taken in about 1897, this view of the east side of the 200 block of Iron Mountain’s South Stephenson Avenue includes a portion of East Ludington Street showing Wood’s Sandstone Block, built in 1891, which later served as Iron Mountain’s city hall, beginning in mid-December, 1900. The Wood Block, built on the northeast corner, housed the First National Bank and several stores. The shaft at the left was a part of the Chapin Mine complex. The single-story white building to the right of center was the Brown Street School and the two-story light-colored building was the Sheerin Hotel, located at 214 East Brown Street. "J.T. Cole Dry Goods" is printed on the photograph. [Menominee Range Historical Museum], Item also published with caption in: Dickinson County, Michigan : from earliest times through the Twenties / compiled and edited by William John Cummings. Iron Mountain, Mich. : Dickinson County Board of Commissioners, 1991. 432 p. : ill, maps, ports. ; 3
Abstract/Description: Taken in about 1897, this view of the east side of the 200 block of Iron Mountain’s South Stephenson Avenue includes a portion of East Ludington Street showing Wood’s Sandstone Block, built in 1891, which later served as Iron Mountain’s city hall, beginning in mid-December, 1900. The Wood Block, built on the northeast corner, housed the First National Bank and several stores. The shaft at the left was a part of the Chapin Mine complex. The single-story white building to the right of center was the Brown Street School and the two-story light-colored building was the Sheerin Hotel, located at 214 East Brown Street. "J.T. Cole Dry Goods" is printed on the photograph. [Menominee Range Historical Museum]
Subject(s): Central business districts
Cities and towns
Iron Mountain (Mich.)
Date Created: 1900 (approximate)