Ontonagon Lighthouse records
Search this Collection
The Ontonagon Lighthouse was funded by an act of Congress in 1850, and its first keeper was appointed in 1853. It was in operation until 1964. The Ontonagon Lighthouse is now owned by the Ontonagon County Historical Society. This collections consists of ledgers created by the Ontonagon Lighthouse keeper from 1871 to 1916. Most of the ledgers record supplies at the lighthouse, the amount of oil used each day, how long the lighthouse was lit, and the daily weather conditions. A 1937 blueprint titled "Ontonagon, Michigan Maintenance Soundings in Channel and Lake Approach" was tucked into the front cover of one of the ledgers. One ledger documents shipwrecks near the lighthouse.