Escanaba Public Library

The Escanaba Public Library was founded in 1903 with a $20,000 grant from the Carnegie Corporation and a guaranteed annual income of $2,120 from the City of Escanaba. City Ordinance 114 was published on February 21, 1903, creating a Library Board. The Library building was located at 201 South 7th Street. Library service was initiated on June 1, 1903, with books first circulating on July 7th of that year. In 1992, the City Council decided to initiate new construction on Ludington Street for a combined City Hall/Library complex. The new library opened in October 1995 at its present location, 400 Ludington Street.

Escanaba Public Library has an extensive local history and genealogy collection, including city directories, yearbooks, family histories, local history publications, plat maps and books, and newspapers on microfilm. Their digital collections include portions of the Escanaba Daily Press (1922-26), Escanaba Daily Press (1926-51), Escanaba Daily Mirror (1906-24), Escanaba Morning Press (1909-22), Escanaba Tribune (1869-77), Evening Iron Port 1899, Iron Port (1877-1910), Semi-Weekly Iron Port & Calumet 1891, Semi-Weekly Iron Port (1891-92), and the Weekly Iron Port (1892-98).

Web site: https://www.escanabalibrary.org

Contact Information:
Escanaba Public Library
400 Ludington St.
Escanaba, MI
49829
(906) 789-7323
epl@escanabalibrary.org