A Primary Blast Made in the Tilden West Pit Lower Bench

Black-and-white photograph, taken outside during the spring, of “a primary blast made in the Tilden West Pit lower bench on April 13, 1956. Fourteen holes averaging sixty feel in depth were loaded with 20,600 pounds of Hercules explosives. This blast was of particular interest as the major portion of the explosive material used was E.P. 188 (ammonium nitrate). The E.P. 188 was later improved and designated as E.P. 197B.”, Image from page 131 of 1956 Mining Agents Annual Report
Abstract/Description: Black-and-white photograph, taken outside during the spring, of “a primary blast made in the Tilden West Pit lower bench on April 13, 1956. Fourteen holes averaging sixty feel in depth were loaded with 20,600 pounds of Hercules explosives. This blast was of particular interest as the major portion of the explosive material used was E.P. 188 (ammonium nitrate). The E.P. 188 was later improved and designated as E.P. 197B.”
Subject(s): Iron mines and mining
Palmer (Mich.)
Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company
Date Created: 1956-04-13